Since my freshman year of high school, I wanted to go to NYU. I didn’t want the typical college experience of living in a town in the middle of nowhere, frat parties, campus, etc. Through out high school, I would visit my friends at NYU and have the best time. I knew that was where I WANTED to be.
And then everything changed… Obviously, since I am a junior at the University of MIAMI. In February of my Junior year of high school, I was in Miami and my mom convinced me to take a campus tour of the U. Not to sound cheesy or cliché, but Being on the campus for the first time, I literally felt this was the place I NEEDED to be.
I realized that New York City will always be there. I live on the outskirts of the city in New Jersey, about 30 minutes away. I’m there all the time, I work there in the summers, and there will always be grad school, and work opportunities there when I graduate. i needed to move away, and be on my own for some time. I needed to learn to rely on myself and no one else. I needed to experience life without the close proximity of my parents.
I visited two more times after that, during my senior year, to ensure that I was making the right choice. I met with the Dean of the Business School to discuss the courses and academics.
Come freshman year, I regretted my decision. Whenever something went wrong I would say, “I wish I went to NYU. I’m transferring.” I would blame it on University of Miami, instead of myself and the situation. Especially when I wasn’t in a sorority and all of my friends were, (see My Take on Sororities), when I would end up alone at a tailgate because there was no cell service, when I got burned by walking into a grill, and when I got into arguments with friends, I wanted to pack up all my things and evacuate.
Advice to freshman: give yourself more time before you shut something out and make a decision. I didn’t act on my feelings, and I am so grateful for that because I am still at the best school in the country, in my opinion.
Even after all the not-so-good experiences I went through each semester being here, I would not want to be at any other school. Here is why UMiami has the best of ALL worlds:
- Great professors
- Strong programs
- Personally, I feel better physically when I am in warm weather. I have many injuries and the heat really helps me when I’m in pain. Being in New Jersey in the winter, after I had jaw surgery was miserable, because the cold kept locking my jaw further.
- Vitamin D
- I mentally feel better when it is warm and sunny, rather than cold, snowy and rainy.
- People in Miami are from all over the world. You can meet so many different people, and learn new languages and be able to practice it in Miami.
- Unlike most schools, UM is not in the middle of nowhere.
- Although the campus is located in Coral Gables, it is only 10-15 minutes away from Brickell, and 20 from South Beach.
- Opportunities for work after you graduate
- More activities
- Miami is a large Sports Market
- Football, Hockey (45 min North of Miami), Baseball, Tennis (Sony Open), etc.
6. Can’t Be Mad On Vacation
- Kanye said it best. Miami is one of the top vacation spots in the US, so if you’re in town or attending school here, there is nothing that can make you THAT mad.
- You can go to the beach whenever you want, or the pool.
7. LIVin in Miami
- Miami is one of the best places for Nightlife.
- Endless Options
- Clubs, lounges, bars, restaurants, beach, boats, frat parties, pool parties, Sports games
If you’re deciding on what college to go to, definitely check out the U.